Monday, August 27, 2012

Quick Campaign Update

A quicky this week. Purely for the purpose of updating my progress on the campaign. Last friday I battled against Imperial Guard.

The fun thing about my opponents army was that it was mostly infantry. He only had a single tank (not counting the chimera) that shot a S10 AP2 template and a forgeworld flyer. The game was mostly about objectives and I actually thought I had a chance in the beginning since most of the objectives were in my deployment zone and his army was clearly not going to be legging it across the table any time soon. I figured if I managed to kill off his troops quickly enough, I would be able to deny his objectives and my marines would be resilient enough to hold on to whatever they found. Most importantly: I wanted to take the decimator out for a test drive.

Start of turn 2. I killed a chimera, he immobilized a rhino. Everything was still looking pretty even.

I can be long and short about it, but in the end, despite the fact that my plan mostly worked, I just didn't have enough troops left at the end to keep my objectives. Once the decimator and the daemon prince were dead I only had 20 marines who were in no good position to defend themselves (cover saves having really taken a blow in the new edition). Furthermore, since I'm fairly new with the 6th edition ruleset, I was also taken by surprise by some of the additional objectives that the game has now. Having your general killed will give a point to your opponent, which I see now, drastically diminishes the usefulness of certain HQ choices that are designed for combat (...such as Daemon Princes). Also, the decimator is just a big ol' point sink and despite being awesome to look at, won't be a repeat guest in my 1000 point lists.

So there you have it. The campaign battle has been reported.

Another thing I'd like to point out is this:

...
Pretty much everything I was able to say about this when I saw it was:

"...

Why Khorne?"

Death to the False Emperor!

No comments:

Post a Comment